Arkansas Engineer

The magazine of the University of Arkansas College of Engineering

Why did you choose the U of A?

I chose the University of Arkansas because when I was young, my family and I would come to Fayetteville on weekend. My mom went to school here, and I loved all of the stories she would tell about being on campus and how much she loved Fayetteville. I really enjoy being able to see my mom’s name on Senior Walk and the idea that when I graduate, my name will be on Senior Walk too.

Why did you choose your major/focus?

I chose Biological Engineering because I’m really interested in the water quality industry. Engineering gives you a unique ability to be able to solve problems and help people on a larger scale.

What are your future plans?

I would love to be working for an engineering consulting firm in the future, preferably working with water quality. The ultimate dream would be to design a small water filtration system that could be easily accessible for the third world countries to build. I have been inspired by the fact that engineering can help a lot of people.

Do you have any words of wisdom for other students?

My main piece of advice is to remember that engineering is a big part of your life, but it’s not your entire life. Every now and then, you have to take a break and step back from the homework and studying for a couple hours to remember that there is life outside of the College of Engineering. It’s easy to forget that and to get really bogged down with all of the work. Though, at the same time, do not procrastinate!

Tell us something fun or unusual about yourself:

I really love to run. After class everyday, I run a few miles on my treadmill. It’s a great way to relax for me.

Are you involved in any extracurricular activities?

I am a member of the Biological Engineering Student Club, American Society of Agriculture and Biological Engineers, American Water Works Association, and Society of Women Engineers. I am the President of the Biological Engineering Student Club for the 2015-2016 school year. I was recently elected as the President of the Southeastern Region of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers for the 2016-2017 school year, so the U of A will be hosting the Regional Conference for ASABE next year. I was the Sustainability Chair for the Society of Women Engineers Regional Conference which took place in February 2016.