Arkansas Engineer

The magazine of the University of Arkansas College of Engineering

Shannon Servoss is an associate professor of chemical engineering and holder of the Ralph E. Martin Endowed Professorship in Chemical Engineering. Her research focuses on biomimetic materials for biomedical applications.

Why did you choose to teach and research in your field?

I have always loved to solve problems to improve quality of life, and that’s what I do in my research. At the university I not only get to perform research, but mentor the next generation of researchers. Working with students and seeing them succeed is what really makes me happy.

What’s your favorite thing about teaching at the U of A?

I love working with students and seeing the switch flip when they finally get something.

What’s one thing about you that your students probably don’t know?

I never made any career decisions until the last minute. It’s OK if you don’t know exactly what you want to do ‘when you grow up’.

What words of advice do you have for engineering students?

Don’t make things more stressful than they have to be. Engineering is hard without all the extras thrown in. Look at your schedule and figure out what things can be moved or eliminated (ex. that part-time job, extracurricular, etc.). But, don’t cut out all the fun stuff; a little ‘me’ time is necessary for success.