Arkansas Engineer

The magazine of the University of Arkansas College of Engineering

Sarah Stoltze is also an Honors College graduate

Where are you from, when are you graduating?

I am from Southlake, TX, and I will be graduating in May of 2016.

Why did you choose the U of A?

I chose the U of A for a variety of reasons. It was actually cheaper for me to go to school here at the U of A than anywhere in Texas. But it wasn’t just the value that influenced my decision. I chose the U of A because I’d heard great things about its strong academic record and generous financial assistance. During my first trip up to Fayetteville, I witnessed both the vibrant culture around the city as well as the vast natural beauty of the Northwest Arkansas area. After my first campus visit on a sunny spring afternoon, I had made my decision.

Why did you choose your major/focus?

As the daughter of two chemical engineers, I knew that I too was destined to be an engineer. I chose to be a Computer Science major because I like computers, programming, logic puzzles, and nerds.

What is your favorite thing about your department?

The CSCE Department is experiencing a lot of growth, particularly in the area of research. The department is unique in that there are plenty of opportunities for motivated undergrads to get involved in collegiate research. I was fortunate enough to spend 2.5 years working in the U of A Predictive Modeling and Machine Learning Lab, and I gained practical experience in the world of academic research. That can’t be taught in a classroom. I will forever be grateful for the CSCE Department for enabling my undergrad research experience.

What are your future plans and how did your college experience shape them?

Currently I plan on pursuing a career in industry immediately after graduation, but I have a feeling that I will end up coming back to college as a graduate student in the future…

Have you had an outstanding faculty member influence your time here?

I actually have two faculty members who made my time here at the U of A particularly outstanding. I worked in the U of A Predictive Modeling and Machine Learning Lab with my research mentor, Dr. Michael Gashler, who guided me along the way to successfully defending my honors thesis. In addition to the completion of my thesis, Dr. Gashler introduced me to the vast academic community operating on the frontier of science. I also worked with an economics professor who shaped my collegiate experience: Dr. Robert Stapp in the Walton College of Business. In the summer of 2014, Dr. Stapp led 12 other students and me on a study abroad trip to Japan. Between the study abroad trip and taking a few of his classes, Dr. Stapp transferred his passion for economics to me, so much so that I ended up minoring in Economics.

Do you have any words of wisdom for your fellow students?

I advise fellow students to do two things: undergrad research and study abroad. Those were two of the most powerful and unique experiences for me as a student at the U of A.

Tell us something unusual, surprising, or fun about yourself:

Aside from computer-related hobbies and past-times, I also enjoy playing the piano and horseback riding.