Arkansas Engineer

The magazine of the University of Arkansas College of Engineering

Why did you choose the U of A?

After taking a tour of the U of A’s campus, I knew that this is where I was supposed study. You could say that is was a divine appointment. Of course, there were other supporting reasons which included the benefits of instate tuition. Also, the U of A offers one of the best computer engineering programs in the state.

Why did you choose your major/focus?

As I was coming out of high school, I was interested in self-navigating robotics and computer engineering provides a great gateway into that field. However, after my sophomore year, I switched my focus to creating simulations and chose to acquire minors in math and computer science.

What are your future plans and how did your college experience shape them?

I will begin working for Epic Systems in Madison, Wisconsin, in July as a software developer. However, due to my job with the U of A’s math department, I plan to eventually return to academia as a professor after I have finished working in industry.

Has there been an outstanding faculty member who has helped you during your time here?

Dr. Shannon Dingman and Dr. David Andrews both helped me understand the core concepts that carried me through the rest of my classes.

Do you have any words of wisdom for your fellow students?

Get a degree that will allow you to get a job that you can enjoy. Don’t be afraid to learn something that was not originally on your to do list. Don’t be afraid to have your own opinions, but be willing to acknowledge when your opinion is wrong.

Tell us something unusual, surprising, or fun about yourself:

I enjoy reading and thinking through C.S. Lewis’ non-fictional books such as Mere Christianity and The Four Loves.